Shlomo Mintz in Estonia
Classical Hugs Orchestral Academy
Narva City Symphony Orchestra
Application deadline - extended to July 22, 11:59 in the evening, New York time.
Classical Hugs Academy introduces a rare opportunity to study and share the stage with
Shlomo Mintz, as part of Orchestral Academy in Narva and Tallinn cities in Estonia.
This project is done in collaboration with the Narva City Symphony Orchestra, led by
Maestro Anatoli Štšura.
How it works - Selection/Acceptance/Scholarships
It's completely FREE to submit an application. Notification of acceptance - July 23.
The selection will be based on video/audio links you submit with your application.
A maximum of 10 violinists & violists will be selected to study with Mintz;
All other instrumentalists will receive acceptance to play in Narva City Symphony
with automatic €300 scholarships, and opportunities to:
- Observe all Mintz's lessons
- Perform in all concerts (including performance in Tallinn - solo with accompanist).
- Receive orchestral audition training and perform audition simulation.
- Artistic portfolio photoshoot by the festival Photographer (in Tallinn).
- Room & Board
- All other opportunities listed below.
We welcome the following instruments to be part of the Narva Symphony Orchestra for the Shlomo Mintz concert:
Violin, Viola, 3 Cellists, 1 Double Bass, 1 Flute, 2 Oboes, 1 Clarinet, 1 Bassoon, 2 French Horn, 2 Trumpets, 2nd Timpani
We accept musicians of all ages and from all nationalities.
Scholarships: Limited number of stipends is offered to those who apply early: on or before June 25.
Scholarships will be provided based on the Application video/audio recordings and personal financial needs.
June 25, 2021 - deadline for the early application with scholarship.
July 22, 2021 - Final Application Deadline - all instruments.
July 23 - Notification of acceptance into the program.
August 2-9, 2021 - Dates of Classical Hugs Orchestral Academy.
August 2 - Arrival in Narva, Estonia
August 3 - Orchestral Academy: sectional rehearsals. Orchestral coaching sessions with Maestro Anatoli Štšura,
Sergei Tiutiunik (1st Violin - Kymi and St. Petersburg Orchestras), and members of Narva Symphony Orchestra.
Orchestra Audition simulation - training - orchestral excerpts performed and discussed in detail.
August 4 - Orchestra rehearsals with soloists: Shlomo Mintz and Michael Bulychev-Okser.
August 5 - Dress Rehearsal. Promenade concert - 17:00; Gala with Shlomo Mintz and Michael Bulychev-Okser - 19:00.
August 6 - Morning/afternoon - Masterclasses with Shlomo Mintz - Day 1 / Solo/chamber coaching - Prof. Bulychev-Okser
Excursion to Narva Castle - overlooking Russia across the River.
August 7 - Morning/afternoon - Masterclasses with Shlomo Mintz - Day 2 / Solo/chamber coaching - Prof. Bulychev-Okser
Excursion to Narva-Jõesuu Beach.
August 8 - Arrival in Tallinn - Free Day, Excursion to Kadriorg Palace, and Tallinn Beach.
August 9 - 11:00 -Walking Tour around Old Town. 17:00 - Rehearsal in Tallinn Town Hall; Artistic Photoshoot.
- 19:00 - Student's solo repertoire - Concert in Town Hall (Tallinna Raekoda) - With Estonian Soprano Maria Veretenina and Michael Bulychev-Okser.
August 10 - Departure
- 2 Masterclasses with Shlomo Mintz - 30-40 minutes each
- 1 Gala Concert sharing Stage with Shlomo Mintz as part Narva Symphony Orchestra - at prestigious Geneva Auditorium August 5th. The concert will be professionally recorded with 3 cameras.
- 1 Orchestral coaching session with Maestro Anatoli Štšura, Sergei Tyutyunik (1st Violin - Kymi and St. Petersburg Orchestras), and members of Narva Symphony Orchestra.
- 1 Orchestra Audition simulation with Excerpts prepared - detailed feedback and coaching will be offered by the adjudication panel. Excerpts: 1 technical selection, 1 lyrical selection, 1 work for sightreading.
- 2 Performance classes with Prof. Michael Bulychev-Okser with accompanist and solo/chamber coaching offered: open to all instrumentalists (solo and chamber). August 6-7.
- 1 solo/chamber concert in Tallinn town Hall - the oldest parliament house in the entire Baltic region (14th century), with performing solo or chamber repertoire. Fully recorded in HD for all individual performances to download. August 9th.
- Observe all lessons.
- Professionally done individual Photoshoot session for all students (photos will be available to download).
- Excursions: Narva-Jeosuu beach and Narva Castle.
- Professional HD Recording of all masterclasses, and concerts will be available for download.
- Optional: artistic promotion/branding on Social media.
- Daily Practicing hours in the same location as Masterclasses.
- Walking Tour around Tallinn Old Town.
- Participation Diploma.
- Full Room and Board (or find own accommodation)
Accommodation is available at a discounted price at Inger or Narva hotels in Narva City and in Central Hotel in Tallinn.
The accommodation comes with 2 meals/day: breakfast and Buffet-style dinner
The cost of accommodation/meals is €300. Participants are welcome to find their own accommodation.
10 Violinists/Violists will be accepted to play for Shlomo Mintz must register for the full program - €650.
All other violinists and other instrumentalists are accepted into the Orchestral/Observation program - €350.
Application - FREE, upon acceptance into the program, participants must pay a €350 deposit. Full payment is due July 25.
Certificates & Diplomas
All Active students who have participated in the Classical Hugs Orchestral program in Estonia will be granted attendance certificates. Diplomas of Merit or Honor may also be granted.
W. A. Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 9, "Jeunehomme".
Overture to Le Nozze di Figaro
Camille Saint-Saëns: Rondo-Capriccioso, Op. 28 - Shlomo Mintz as soloist.
N. Rimsky-Korsakov - E. Zimbalist: Concert Fantasy on "Le coq d'Or"- Shlomo Mintz as soloist.
F. Mendelssohn - Bartholdy: The Concerto for Piano, Violin, and Strings in D minor,
Soloists: Shlomo Mintz, Violin & Michael Bulychev-Okser, piano.
Covid-19 regulations and safety
Currently, Estonia has a very low number of infections. It welcomes citizens from over 20 European countries and many
countries from outside Europe. Hotels, practice locations, and concert venues offer fully sanitized facilities, with many
people already vaccinated. To learn more about rules, and how to enter Estonia safely, please visit:
How to apply
To apply, click on the Application link.